Sunday, April 15, 2007

Calamities All Around

I have not finished reading the book yet (this was my only goal for my vacation and I failed, ugh). I do have to say I am really enjoying the book so far though. Two things I would like to point out while reading:
1. Note every time you encounter reference that you know is a real reference but you don't know it and you think you should. Many of her literary references are real (maybe all) and some down right hilarious but some I just know I should know but I don't know (and then I have to Google it and then I feel like I smoked too much pot in college). I feel like she must have hung out in a library finding all these references.
2. I read this passage the other night after hanging out with my ultra-Christian friend (we went to see Pan's Labyrinth and then have a cup of tea). This paragrahp resonated with me and I am not sure why. Maybe because I used to move every year, maybe because of the scintillating conversation I had just had pertaining to religion. Here it is (page 35):
Every now and then, at night, before I fell asleep, I found myself staring at the ceiling, praying for something 'real' to happen, something that would trandform me- And God always took on the personality of the ceiling at which I was staring. If the ceiling was imprinted with moonlight and leaves from the window, He was glamorous and poetic. If there was a slight tilt, He was inclined to listen. If there was a faint water stain in the corner, He'd weathered many a storm and would weather mine too. If there was a smear cutting through the center by the overhead lamp where something with six or eight legs had been exterminated via newspaper or shoe, He was veangeful.

I hope everyone enjoys this book as much as I am.

8 comments:

Not From Lapland said...

I've only managed to get a couple of pages in so far and I'm finding it a bit hard to really get into - don't know why. will keep trying though.

Challenge 20/20 teams said...

The bookstore finally called to say they have my copy of the book. getting it today :)

Not From Lapland said...

I sat down last night determined to get some more of it read and try to get in to it and guess what. It worked. I am totally loving it now, great book Still a hell of a long way from finishing though - it's not a short one.

Chris Cactus said...

I'm so there...uh, here...the book club thingy. Count me in!

p-man said...

My ceiling looks agnostic, yet concerned for the welfare of its immortal soul. Time to paint.

Andie D. said...

Like an idiot, I decided to buy mine on eBay. Didn't notice until recently that "standard" shipping for the seller meant 4 to 21 days.

Really. WTF?

Sooooo, I'll keep (obsessively) checking my mail box.

Andie D. said...

I guess what I'm saying is that I very likely won't be ready for a start date of the 25th.

Her Bad Mother said...

VERY excited about this book. Have been waiting for this!