Thursday, May 3, 2007

Initial thoughts on Calamity

I know the official discussion date is still a week away, but I don't think that should prevent some pre-chat...... ah, don't get your knickers in a twist.... I'll keep it non-plot related, as I don't want to ruin anything for those still in the earlier chapters.

I love the author's use of language.... her descriptions are so vividly unique "cling to her father like lint balls to wool pants" -- who describes people like that?

At the beginning, I found the constant referencing more than just a little distracting -- I hoped that as the book went on that the references would either become less frequent or that I just wouldn't notice them anymore.... there was a little bit of both.

I've still got a bit more reading to do, but..... these are my initial style-impressions.

Anybody else?

3 comments:

p-man said...

I like the cover.

Andie D. said...

Ha! I like the cover too. Although mine has flowers on it. ?

I started reading it, then started another book. Oops. I'm back in now, and the story is starting to really get interesting. I found the lead in a little slow going. But I'm plowing through, and it's getting better.

Anonymous said...

Agree about the references. I found myself scanning a page before I read it to see how many ()'s there were and debating wether or not to skip them (I didn't). Once I got used to Blue's voice it didn't bother me and I found it enduring. Just finished and loved it...