Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Jerk's Wife

oh, okay -- that was kind of harsh...

I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife -- I read it based on rave reviews I got from a bunch of people who have never steered me wrong before.

Honestly, I didn't really like it much in the beginning.

The author is clearly very talented and has an amazing imagination -- and the format or method she uses to unfold the story (journal entries of sorts) was effective and engaging -- but, I just didn't really like the main character very much.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned or just naive, but I like a main character I can love or love to hate..... this guy?... he just seemed like a waste of time. I didn't like him much, didn't find him all that attractive..... but, I also didn't think he was worth the effort or energy involved in hating.

As the story progressed, my opinion did change and I did begin to enjoy the story. Although I still didn't love or hate this guy, his character was redeemed as he matured. Additionally, there were some plot twists and turns in the middle/end that really threw me and kept me just engaged enough to keep reading -- even during parts where I didn't think the story was that great.

Given that I have a new baby, there were some parts of the story that really tugged at my post-partum heartstrings.... but I don't want to give too much away in case you want to read the book yourself.

In the end, I can say that I liked the book -- I didn't love it, but I liked it and I would certainly read her next book.

I'm probably going to read The Tipping Point Next -- if anybody's interested in joining me.

This is a book that I've been meaning to read for years.
When I was in graduate school it was assigned as required reading for an entrepreneurship class and I didn't read it, but from the class discussion -- I regretted my laziness and put it on my list of books that I wanted to read. Well, here we are 6 years later and I'm going to make good.

No comments: