Monday, July 7, 2008

The Tipping Point

When I was in graduate school, I took a course in entrepreneurship -- The Tipping Point was assigned by the instructor and I was just too busy to read it. Listening to the class discussion, it was a book I'd regretted not reading -- so, I swore that I'd read it..... eventually.

Well, eventually is here -- I just finished it.

It is not the typical book club book. It's more text-booky than it is novel. It's non-fiction and it's full of facts, history, lots and lots of statistics...... all the things that make most people (unless they are math/accounting geeks like me) gloss over. But, it is also full of pop-culture, psychology and science.

This book is not for everyone, and I can understand why some people would pick it up and then promptly and permanently put it down.

However, there is a chapter on Sesame Street, Blue's Clues and child development that I think is worth reading for any parent.

I really enjoyed the book -- and I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. It uses real examples to illustrate and explain how fads happen or, in many cases, why they fail to.

The next book in my line up is Maeve Binchey's Scarlet Feather

Being a first generation American who spent a lot of time in Ireland as a kid, I tend to really enjoy Maeve Binchey's books. I'm not sure if people without that connection would enjoy them quite as much, but -- given her popularity.... I'd say they do.

No comments: